Now that the transfer window is closed it is time to look at some of the most overrated/ worse signings of the summer.
1. Angel Di Maria – Real Madrid to Manchester United - Is this the player Manchester United needed to change their fortunes around? Probably not as United’s faults are not in scoring but more so in the middle of the pitch and in defense. Sure Di Maria will create chances and score goals, but his defense work rate leaves something to be desired.
2. James Rodríguez – Monaco to Real Madrid - Same as above, does this signing fill a need Real Madrid have or is it splashing the cash for some more firepower when defense should be a priority? As a player Rodríguez deserved this move based on his explosive World Cup; it just doesn’t fill a need at Madrid.
3. David Luiz – Chelsea to PSG - PSG must have really wanted a Brazilian center back partnership since they paid Chelsea big bucks to get their hands on the man with the fro. Strengthening the defense is never a bad option but the price tag may have been on the high side.
4. Jeremy Mathieu – Valencia to Barcelona - Barcelona were looking to add depth and strength to their defense in this recent window. They did so by shelling out 20 million euros on a player in his 30’s and bras talented as other options that could have been avalible.
5. Falcao – Monaco to Manchester United loan - just like Di Maria’s arrival to Manchester does this signing really fill one of the holes Louis Van Gaal needs to plug. This is just putting more lipstick on the pig. More attacking options won’t rectify the issues in midfield and defense.
6. Luis Suarez – Liverpool to Barcelona - When he is focused and on his game Luis Suarez is the best striker in the world; his skills and improvisation are phenomenal. However paying the amount of money for a player that is suspended, plus with the disciplinary record of his is risky.
7. Bebe – Manchester United to Benfica - Got to throw this one in here. Seems like it is popular choice for one of the worst transfer. Having never really played for Manchester United a 2.2 million pound move to Benfica seems a bit excessive but only time will tell.
8. Adam Lallana – Southampton to Liverpool - It’s never a good idea to over pay for British players (remember Stewart Downing). Add on to the fact that he has been injured since before going to Pool and therefore has yet to play a game for his new team. Liverpool’s midfield is solid and Adam has to show that last year was no fluke if he wants to break into the squad.
9. Javier Hernandez – Manchester United to Real Madrid - Moving from one place where you didn’t play to a new team stacked with attacking options doesn’t quite make sense. Maybe the little pea knows something we don’t. It will take hard work and some luck for him to get playing time in the Spanish capital.
10. Patrice Evra – Manchester United to Juventus - Older player joining a three time domestic champs. This could spark a renaissance in Evra as he won’t be called upon every game. Its a gamble Juventus were willing to take to provide cover in defense.