Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde will not be charged in response to an incident in which Hyde allegedly assaulted a woman in a Columbus bar on July 20. The previously alleged victim released a statement through NBC4 in Columbus, and while she isn’t pressing charges now, she seemed to leave the door open for the possibility of pressing charges in the future.
“I would like to thank the Columbus Police department for their patience and professionalism they showed conducting their investigation. They have advised me I have up to two years to consider criminal charges.
I believe the video, if released, will speak for itself when shown in its entirety and not edited or censored,” her statement said.
On July 23, Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson reported that he spoke to a source who had seen the security tape of the incident and that the video would “clear” Hyde. Two days later, an NBC4 reporter claimed to have seen the video herself and said that Hyde appeared to slap the woman, who was seen clutching her face afterwards. Either way, the 19-year-old alleged victim elected not to press charges, which closed the case. The video was released today. You be the judge.
Hyde had been suspended indefinitely pending the outcome of the investigation by the team and his coach Urban Meyer, who has a track record of strict discipline towards crimes against women, but Hyde will presumably be reinstated for fall camp after no charges were filed. This is good news for the Buckeyes who wanted their near-1000-yard rusher back for their run at a national title.
UPDATE - Ohio State has announced that it is suspending Hyde for the first three games of the season for "conduct not representative of the football program or university," according to Urban Meyer. Ohio State plays SUNY Buffalo and San Diego State at home for their first two games, and then they have a potentially tricky night game at Cal for week 3.