The ongoing saga between the NCAA and the University of Miami has been as close to the lead up to a heavyweight fight as we have seen in NCAA investigations. It has been a series of ugly incidents just adding to the tension as we lead up to the title bout, o in this case when the NCAA and Miami reach the end of a two-year investigation process. In what is being reported as an unprecedented move, the University of Miami filed a motion for the dismissal of the NCAA's lengthy and flawed investigation in to potential violations within the program.
As reported by CBSSports.com on Friday, Miami's filing "will include new information regarding the NCAA's conduct during the case." We may never actually learn what that information could be due to Miami being a private institution, unbound to the typical freedom of information act requests.
Also from CBSSports.com [link]:
In a major case involving a high-profile university, the filing is considered unprecedented. Schools charged with major violations typically file their responses to allegations and appear before the NCAA infractions committee. Penalties, if any, are then handed out weeks or months later. However, "what the NCAA did was unprecedented," said a source with knowledge of the motion.
"There will be some stuff in there [the public] is already aware of. I would think there will be some other things in there that people are not yet aware of that [are] just as equally intriguing."
Yeah, the gauntlet has been thrown to the ground by Miami as this story continues to grow a little bit uglier by the day.
This news comes shortly after the Associated Press had reported the NCAA alleged that Miami looked the other way when presented with evidence that former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro had been providing players with impermissible benefits.
Essentially right now we have a couple of school girls engaged in a bout of "He said-She Said," and is about to bubble over in a prize fight.