The Thrashers re-located to Winnipeg three years ago today on May 31st of 2011. To mark this occasion, CBS Atlanta decided to let you know why hockey is such an awesome sport.
The only times that Atlanta sports media has cared about the Thrashers are the following: the inaugural season, the Dany Heatley/Dan Snyder accident, the playoffs, the Kovalchuk trade, and the relocation.
The Atlanta sports media’s only priorities are college football (go team that plays an hour northeast of here!) the Braves, and the Hawks if they’re forced to cover them. What would possess CBS Atlanta to publish a list titled “5 Reasons Why You Should Become a Hockey Fan NOW“? Shouldn’t've they published that list back in 1999?
The list itself is a hot mess.
5. “The Fights.” Yes, because fights happen all of the time during the playoffs and they’re so exciting and they give teams momentum and- what’s that? They don’t? Well, at least we still have…
4. “The Goal Horn/Goal Song” I love “Zombie Nation.” I love “Song 2.” I associate both of those with the Thrashers. The Blues’ horn is so awesome it was used on the iOS game “Fart Cat.” I do not love hockey because of it. Who does?
3. “Because It’s The Cup (#becauseitsthecup)” Oh, are they still doing that?
2. “Henrik Lundqvist.” I am a woman. I would by lying if I said that I didn’t find Lundqvist handsome – so would every other man, woman, or child who said that. That being said, his attractiveness is a shallow reason to get interested in the Rangers, don’t you think? At least mention the fact that he’s a solid goaltender. Oh, wait. “Not only does he have the looks but he has the skills.” I guess that passes for analysis.
1. ”The History.” Finally, one that’s true, but ruined by a superficial summary.
I get that the author of this is a national author that CBS Atlanta picked up, but you can’t tell me that someone at the office couldn’t've stopped for a sec to realize how stupid it was for them to run this? Better late than never, I guess.