Earlier today, the news broke that Beastie Boys member Adam “MCA” Yauch had passed away at the age of 47, losing his three-year long battle with cancer. To anyone that grew up in the 80′s or 90′s or just had even the most basic appreciation for music, this was truly sad news. Fans all across the globe showed their respect for Yauch and honored him in a variety of ways. Included amongst them was the New York Mets, who, as a group, elected to show their appreciation for the Brooklyn native and loyal Mets fan by each selecting a Beastie Boys song as their at-bat walk-up music.
Here are those selections:
- SS Ruben Tejada – “Intergalactic”
- 2B Daniel Murphy – “No Sleep ’til Brooklyn”
- 3B David Wright – “Brass Monkey”
- RF Lucas Duda – “The New Style”
- LF Scott Hairston – “Root Down”
- 1B Ike Davis – “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)”
- CF Andres Torres – “So What’cha Want”
- C Josh Thole – “Make Some Noise”
- P Dillon Gee – “Body Movin’”
The Mets haven’t done much right in recent years, but this, this was perfect. It showed a great deal of appreciation for Yauch and the Beasties but also was not exploitative. And don’t even think about quibbling with the song choices because this was about a man and his influence on music, not your musical taste. Just let it be. Perfect.