The Houston Rockets have reportedly started talking to teams about trading eight-time All-Star Dwight Howard, league sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical.
It was reported last week that the Rockets had no interest in trading Howard before the Feb. 18 deadline, but those plans have changed as of Thursday. From Wojnarowki’s report:
Howard, 30, plans to exercise an opt-out in his contract this summer to become an unrestricted free agent, and uncertainty surrounding the commitment both sides are willing to make has pushed Houston general manager Daryl Morey toward seeking potential trades on the market, league sources said.
The Rockets are working with Howard’s agent, Dan Fegan, on possible destinations, league executives told The Vertical.
Howard is believed to be seeking a maximum contract extension in July.
Howard has the right to become a free agent July 1 and therefore could leave this summer without Houston receiving anything in return. The Rockets are 27-28 after the first half of the season and in 9th place in the Western Conference. The trade deadline can’t get here fast enough.